These chocolate covered rice krispie treats are the perfect sweet bite to cosy up with this fall. Our fall version is made with dulce de leche and warming cinnamon spice, taking only 10 minutes to prepare!
Introducing to you this fall inspired chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe that will blow your mind. Simple to make, sticky and full of all those caramel, cinnamon and chocolate flavors. Akin to hot fried, cinnamon sugar-coated churros dipped in dulce de leche and chocolate... You need these incredible rice krispie treats in your life! And if you love this kind of thing, you also need to try our Almond Butter Cups or our Raspberry Dark Chocolate Truffles.
There are so many variations of rice krispie treats out there already but we wanted to do something different and centred around fall. Meet the love child of a churro combined with a rice krispies square. Sticky with marshmallows and swirled with delicious caramel notes from the dulce de leche, you'll keep going back for more.
We know you'll love these sweet treats, so be sure to leave us a comment and rate the recipe. You can use the links below to get to where you need.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
Here are some reasons why you need this chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe in your life:
Churro inspired - our version is full of fall inspired flavors, spiced with cinnamon, sweetened with dulce de leche and coated in chocolate.
Chocolate covered - with a thick fudgy chocolate topping, these rice krispie treats are next level and extra special.
Easy - simply melt, stir together and set. An easy dessert option perfect for fall and a delicious sweet to finish the meal with.
Fall - with all the flavors inside these you'll be lifted into a fall-scented dream as you go back for seconds. SO COZY.
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make these beautiful chocolate covered rice krispie treats:
Rice Krispies - the main ingredient of these bars is rice krispies. We’ve tried these with both branded and store brand krispies and they both work; use whichever is easiest for you.
Mini marshmallows - we use mini marshmallows for ease of melting. The quicker you make these bars, the faster you can eat them!
Dulce de leche - the dulce de leche is one of our favorite ingredients and is integral to the recipe for its stickiness and flavour. If you want to use a dairy free version feel free.
Dark chocolate - We use a mixture of 50% and 70% cocoa solids chocolate for this recipe, if you want a richer finish then use more of the 70%. If you want to use milk chocolate you can but you may find it a bit sweet.
We know you love to mix things up with customizations. Here are some of our recommendations for our chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe:
No spice - just want caramel rice krispie treats? Omit the cinnamon from the recipe to enjoy a simple delicious caramel flavored version.
Balls - use a cookie scoop to measure out the warm mixture and roll into balls. Dip, drizzle or roll in chocolate and leave to set on a baking sheet in the fridge.
Gluten free - if you need these to be gluten free make sure you get some certified gluten free puffed rice to use in place of standard rice krispies.
Chocolate - change up the chocolate if you prefer milk or white or just stick with dark chocolate like us.
🔪 How to make rice krispie treats
Follow these simple step by step guides to success for this chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe:
- Start by placing your butter, dulce de leche and mini marshmallows into a saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly until melted and fully combined.
- Gently heat for 10-15 minutes until melted. Once combined and looking gorgeous and velvety, add the cinnamon, vanilla extract and a pinch of fine sea salt, stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the rice krispies until everything is well coated and glossy with the caramel sauce.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared pan and very gently use the back of a spoon to coax the mixture into the corners. It is very sticky and you don’t want to crush all the rice krispies.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the rice krispie layer and spread out with a spatula. Leave to set in the fridge for an hour or so before slicing.
👩🍳 Expert tips
Make sure to read and follow these expert tips to ensure complete success with this chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe:
Lining - the easiest way to get the rice krispie treats out of the tin is by lining the tin with parchment.
Smoothing - we recommend smoothing the top of the rice krispies mixture with a small spatula to give an even layer for the chocolate mixture to pour onto.
Folding - the wet mixture is very sticky, gently fold the rice krispies throughout the mixture to avoid crushing them.
Butter - the butter in the chocolate topping is used to make it more fudgy, it makes it a lot easier for you to cut once set in the fridge.
👪 How many does this serve?
Once the chocolate layer has completely set, you can remove it from the pan and peel the paper off. We recommend cutting this into 16 squares and serving it with your favourite hot drink.
🍬 How to store the bars?
We recommend storing these in an airtight container in a cool place or in the fridge. These chocolate covered rice krispie treats will last up to a week or longer if stored correctly - if you can make them last that long! The longer that they are left, the rice krispies will eventually soften a little. They're best eaten within 3-4 days.
💭 Recipe FAQs
If you are a couple or single, these will store great in a freezer up to 3 months. Make sure you cut it into 16 squares pre freezing and store in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Overheating the marshmallow mixture will lead to your rice krispie bars hardening. Be sure to heat over a low heat gently and melt them slowly together.
Make sure not to forget to mix in the butter to the melted chocolate, it helps it be more fudgy so it'll be easier to cut.
🍫 Related recipes
We know you'll love these chocolate covered rice krispie treats. You'll also want to check out our other dessert recipes. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
Love this recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe below and don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- 300 g dark chocolate, I use a mixture of 50% and 70% cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter, 15g
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper and very lightly spray with oil spray or grease with oil.
- Place the butter, dulce de leche and marshmallows into a large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. This process will take about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt and stir to combine.4 tablespoons butter, ⅔ cup dulce de leche, 200 g mini marshmallows, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, Pinch of salt
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rice krispies until everything is well coated.5 cups rice krispies
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and very gently use the back of a spoon to coax the mixture into the corners of the pan so that everything is evenly distributed but not too heavily compacted.
For the chocolate topping:
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set above a pan of gently simmering water until melted; stir to combine. Alternatively melt in 20 second bursts in the microwave.300 g dark chocolate, 1 tablespoon butter
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the rice krispie treats and spread out evenly with a spatula. Leave to set in the fridge for about an hour before cutting into squares. We recommend running your knife under hot water before cutting - this ensures that you get nice clean cuts.
- Gently warm the dulce de leche mix with marshmallows slowly, it will help keep the treats soft.
- Use either a bain marie or microwave for melting the chocolate topping.
- Line the baking tin for easier removal.