These are the best jalapeño turkey burgers! Perfect served in brioche buns with lashings of chipotle mayo, smashed avocado and pickled red onions. No more bland, dry turkey burgers on the grill!
We don't even know where to start with these jalapeño turkey burgers, except to say that you need them in your life! I'm a huge fan of burgers (and pizza, duh) but it's been a long time since we've had one that was super special. Well, not anymore.
We're all about flavour in our house and these jalapeño turkey burgers are an absolute hit. These turkey burger patties are packed with jalapeño, bacon and cheddar, all of the best things! Make sure to check out our salmon sliders if you're after a miniature burger for parties. Or why not try our Lamb Souvlaki with Tzatziki?
We've got all the tips and tricks you need to create these epic burgers. You'll never have to experience a bland and dry turkey burger ever again! Follow the links below to get to where you need to. Leave us a comment and rating too as we love hearing from you!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these juicy jalapeño turkey burgers for your grill this summer, this is what you'll need:
Ground turkey - we recommend using ground turkey thigh (7% fat), it has the best flavour and texture for these burgers. You can use the 2% if you prefer but the burgers won't be as juicy and are more prone to overcooking.
Jalapeño - these citrus scented chillies work perfectly in these turkey patties. We use them in two ways, finely minced fresh and a zingy jalapeño hot sauce. Trust us, this combo is amazing!
Cheddar cheese - we go heavy on the cheddar, a nice sharp mature or extra mature cheddar, shredded and in the patty mix and melted on top of the cooked burger.
Bacon - the key to getting a great jalapeño popper flavour in these turkey burgers is cooking the bacon before adding to the patty mix. It's SO good!
How to make jalapeño turkey burgers
- Add the ground turkey, finely chopped jalapeños, shredded cheese, cooled and chopped bacon, hot sauce (if using), garlic powder and salt to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together, stopping when just combined - don't overwork or knead the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into four and shape into evenly sized patties, about ½ inch thick (5 ounces each). Place on a plate or baking sheet and transfer to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes to an hour. This helps the burgers keep their shape when cooking. Grill at 200C/400F for 5-7 minutes per side until 75C/165F internal temperature.
Toppings for turkey burgers
We've helped you create the best grilled jalapeño turkey burger you'll be eating this summer, now you need the toppings:
Cheddar cheese - we've got grated cheddar cheese inside the burger but you bet we're going to add even more on top. What's a good burger without a layer of melty cheese?!
Jalapeños - We also highly recommend amping up that spicy chilli flavour by adding jalapeño slices on top of the cheese - to us they add just the right amount of extra spice, but it does depend on how spicy your jalapeños are.
Pickled onions - quick pickled red onions add a lovely zing to these burgers, an absolute must!
Avocado - smashed avocado is the best on these burgers, you can use guacamole or just sliced avocado instead if you prefer.
Chipotle mayo - the BEST sauce for these burgers. Simply mix a few tablespoons of mayonnaise with about a teaspoon of smoky chipotle paste - taste and add to your liking as it can be spicy!
Follow these tips for success in creating these jalapeño turkey burgers every time:
Don't overwork the mix - you want to mix the ground turkey so the additions are evenly mixed throughout, but if you over mix them until they become fuzzy and tacky it will become a chewy burger.
Chill time - the chill time helps the jalapeño turkey burgers hold together whilst cooking and allows the salt to permeate the patty.
Preheat grill - if you want grill marks, be sure to preheat the grill for at least 10-15 minutes before cooking. If you don't, the grill grates won't be hot enough to sear the meat.
Toasted buns - we love toasting our burger buns, whatever you choose to use, it's a great way to keep form of the burger whilst eating it.
Heat the grill/barbecue to medium high heat (about 200-225C or 400-450F). If using a griddle pan on the hob, place over medium heat until the pan is very hot.
Cook the burgers for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
When cooked you should have some nice griddle lines and the internal temperature of the burger should reach 74C or 165F. An instant read thermometer is such a useful piece of kitchen kit!
We love serving these with fries and a salad. You can serve with potato wedges, dips of your choice or a lovely fresh coleslaw.
Love these jalapeño turkey burgers? You'll definitely want to check out our grilling recipes, here are some suggestions to get you started:
Love this recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe below and don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Why not follow along with us on our social media channels @Instagram @Facebook and @Pinterest and tag us with #eatloveeats when you've tried one of our recipes!
Jalapeño Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey thigh meat, 7% fat, 454g
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, extra mature
- 4 slices streaky bacon
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno hot sauce, optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chipotle mayo
- 1 jalapeño , sliced
- 1 large avocado, smashed
- 1 cup pink pickled onions
Making jalapeño turkey burgers
- Start by cooking your bacon. Place bacon in a frying pan over medium heat and cook gently for a few minutes until the bacon is cooked and just slightly golden. Remove from the pan and place onto some kitchen paper to absorb excess fat and cool slightly, then chop into small pieces.4 slices streaky bacon
- Add the ground turkey, finely chopped jalapeños, shredded cheese, cooled and chopped bacon, hot sauce (if using), garlic powder and salt to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together, stopping when just combined - don't overwork or knead the mixture.1 pound ground turkey thigh meat, 2 jalapeños, ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, 4 slices streaky bacon, 1 teaspoon jalapeno hot sauce, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into evenly sized patties, about ½ inch thick or 5 ounces each. Place on a plate or baking sheet and transfer to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
To cook the burgers
- Heat your grill/barbecue to medium-high heat (about 200-225°C or 400-450°F). If using a griddle pan on the hob, place over medium heat until the pan is very hot.
- Cook the burgers for about 5-7 minutes on each side. When cooked, the internal temperature of the burger should reach 74°C or 165°F and be cooked all the way through - they should not be pink inside. If desired, add a slice of cheddar cheese to the tops of the burgers for the last minute of cooking to allow it to melt.4 slices cheddar cheese
- Serve the burgers on lightly toasted brioche buns with chipotle mayo, sliced jalapeños, smashed avocado and quick pickled onions.4 brioche burger buns, 4 tablespoons chipotle mayo, 1 jalapeño, 1 large avocado, 1 cup pink pickled onions
- Don't over mix the jalapeño turkey burger mixture, it'll become tough.
- Cook on a medium-high heat grill for 5-7 minutes per side until 165F internal temperature.
- To make the chipotle mayo stir 1 tablespoon of chipotle paste into some mayonnaise.
- To make pickled onions, dissolve 1 teaspoon salt and sugar into ½ cup of red wine vinegar and ½ cup water. Add sliced red onions to the mixture and leave to pickle for 20-30 minutes.
Turkey burgers are great. I’ve never thought about putting avocado in there. Going to try this one out!