This quick tomato spinach pasta is super satisfying, packed with flavor and most importantly can be made on a busy weeknight in just 15 minutes!
We all get busy and often the last thing on our minds is cooking at the end of a long day. BUT this super quick tomato spinach pasta is perfect for these moments. It uses a couple of quick and easy methods to create incredible flavor, but also satisfaction. This is a go-to meal on nights when neither of us fancy cooking. It's truly the best way to elevate a simple packet of tortellini into a gorgeous, flavor-packed weeknight dinner!
Full of nutrition and goodness, this simple tomato pasta is going to be your new favorite meal. You can really carb it up with some garlic bread or go lighter with a side salad, depending on your mood.
Definitely check out our other simple, easy to make pasta dishes, too, like our 'Nduja Pasta, Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta or Lemon Zucchini Pasta. Plenty of options to add into your repertoire for midweek meals.
We know you'll love this quick tomato spinach pasta so be sure to leave us a comment below and rate the recipe too. Use the links here to get you where you need to.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
Here are some reasons why you need this quick and easy tomato spinach pasta recipe in your life:
Flavor - in such a simple recipe we want as much flavor as possible and this tomato spinach pasta does not disappoint in that department!
Quick - we can't believe how quick this recipe actually is, you can make it in under 15 minutes which is perfect for when you are busy - and who isn't nowadays?
Satisfying - full of carbs and umami flavors, this simple tomato pasta is completely satisfying.
Simple - you only need a few simple ingredients to create your new favorite go-to recipe. Use this recipe to liven up your favorite filled pasta! This recipe really is much greater than the sum of its parts.
Healthy - this recipe is full of goodness with plenty of tomatoes and spinach and garlic, you really can't go wrong with these ingredients.
You only need simple ingredients for this tomato spinach pasta recipe, this is what you'll need:
Filled pasta - we use pre-made filled fresh pasta like ravioli or tortellini, just be sure the filling flavors will go with the sauce.
Tomatoes - fresh and vibrant flavors come from the best quality in season tomatoes, you can easily use cherry tomatoes for the best flavor or full size plum tomatoes. We used heirloom cherry tomatoes here.
Spinach - you'll need fresh spinach in this pasta, but you could use frozen if you wish, just defrost it and dab with kitchen paper if you do.
Parmesan - we can get plenty of seasoning and umami flavor from a good grating of fresh parmesan.
We know you love to mix things up with customizations and substitutions so here are some of our recommendations for tomato spinach pasta recipe:
Tomatoes - use whichever tomatoes you enjoy most at their best in season, we highly recommend heirloom tomatoes, but regular cherry tomatoes work just as well. You could also use canned tomatoes, but it will change the intended outcome of the dish.
Pasta - we use pasta filled with proscuitto and mozzarella, but have also used shrimp or chicken and bacon. You can use whatever flavor you like that goes with the tomato sauce. Or just use plain pasta if you wish!
Dairy free - use dairy free butter and a dairy free parmesan alternative.
Spice - adjust the spice level for your taste, this is medium low heat, but if you are quite sensitive to heat, omit or reduce it.
Herbs - add some fresh basil or thyme leaves for an extra pop of flavor. Add the thyme leaves to the butter just before adding the tomatoes or add freshly torn basil at the end of cooking, along with the parmesan.
🔪 How to make tomato spinach pasta
Follow these simple step by step guides to success for this simple tomato pasta recipe:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and sauté the garlic over a medium low heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the crushed pepper flakes and salt and stir together.
- Add the tomatoes that you've chopped up, turn the heat up slightly and cook until they break down a bit, around 4-6 minutes, meanwhile boil your pasta following the package instructions.
- Add the chopped spinach to the tomatoes and once it has wilted add the grated parmesan. The sauce should emulsify when stirred together.
- Add the cooked filled pasta and gently toss throughout the sauce. Serve up with additional parmesan and enjoy!
👩🍳 Expert tips
Make sure to read and follow these expert tips to ensure complete success with this tomato spinach pasta recipe:
Cooking pasta - make sure you don't overcook the pasta, it'll absorb more juices in the sauce than you think.
Speed - get your pan of salted water on first for your pasta before anything else, chop the ingredients you need and then start frying away for a quick easy dinner.
Servings - if you are serving more people, you can scale up the recipe, just factor in tossing the pasta in the appropriate size pan. Otherwise use an easier pasta to serve like linguine.
Carb up - if you want to go all out, we highly recommend serving this easy tomato pasta with garlic bread and a side salad.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to three days.
We recommend reheating this tomato spinach pasta in the microwave for about 1 minutes 30 seconds, until piping hot in the middle.
🥗 Related recipes
Love this recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe below and don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Quick Tomato Spinach Pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly torn
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 9 ounces store-bought filled pasta, such as tortellini or ravioli
- Place a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta, adding a generous pinch of salt.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt gently. Add the crushed garlic and cook gently for 1-2 minutes until fragrant and soft, but not brown. Stir in the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 cloves garlic, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and beginning to break down. Stir in the torn spinach and cook for another minute or so until wilted. The sauce should be glossy and emulsified. Stir in the grated parmesan.1 ½ cups roughly chopped cherry tomatoes, 2 cups baby spinach, ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- During the last couple of minutes of cooking the sauce, boil the pasta according to the package instructions. Once both the pasta and sauce are ready, drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss until well combined, serve and garnish with more parmesan. Enjoy!9 ounces store-bought filled pasta, such as tortellini or ravioli
- Any variety of filled pasta will work - our favorites are prosciutto & mozzarella or ‘nduja & mozzarella.
- Put your pan of water on first for the pasta and prepare the tomatoes at the same time for speed.