Can you feel spring in the air?! From what I've read around the internet this week, I'm guessing that the answer to that question is not going to be a resounding 'yes'. I can't believe that some of you out there are still under several inches of snow!! Not that it's exactly balmy over here, but still, I feel for you.
But seriously. Spring! It's in the air. It's coming. And I'm so excited!
Like, salads for dinner excited! Advanced warning: that means salads aplenty around these parts in the coming months. And not just salads! But just lots of light, fresh meals. Simple and full of flavour. Trust me, you're going to want to stick around because I have some amazing recipes lined up for you! Trust me.
Anyway. Onto today's recipe. This smoky halloumi and avocado is super simple to put together and just delightful to eat. Squeaky-salty cheese, creamy avocado, peppery leaves and a tangy, smoky onion dressing. Yes please! Add a chunk of good bread and you're done. That's one fine supper you've got yourself. And just look at the colour!
I mean, isn't it nice to eat a salad for dinner and be done? I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but here in England, cold weather means comfort food. Really delicious, carb-laden comfort food. And that's great. But you do get sick of it after a while, or at least I do. So now that the weather is finally warming up a little bit, I'm definitely ready for some light and delicate meals! Followed by evening walks instead of embedding myself into the sofa and watching Netflix. (although I'll still be watching some Netflix, of course - I'm probably a bit late to the party here but Jessica Jones?! I'm hooked).
This salad serves two reeeally hungry people for dinner, but to be honest, I'd reckon on it serving more like three. Or perhaps four or five as an appetiser or as part of a larger meal. Like when you have a barbecue when it's summer. Ok, ok, let's not get too carried away. Currently, I'm simply amazed that I am already finding some really early British asparagus in certain supermarkets, let alone summer produce. It's an exciting time of year for food lovers, oh yes. (Anybody who doesn't understand these things is probably giving me some seriously squinty looks right now. But as you're here reading a food blog, I'm guessing you understand!)
Anyway - to the recipe!
Smoky Halloumi Avocado Salad
- 1 lettuce - I used a curly leaf lettuce, leaves separated
- a bunch of watercress, (80 g) leaves picked
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 block of halloumi cheese, diced
- Arrange the lettuce leaves and watercress on a large plate or platter. Sprinkle the diced avocado on top.1 lettuce - I used a curly leaf lettuce, a bunch of watercress, 1 avocado
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the halloumi pieces. Fry until golden brown. Add to the salad and finish by drizzling over the dressing. Eat immediately.1 block of halloumi cheese
For the dressing
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan. Add the red onion along with a pinch of salt and the smoked paprika. Cook over a medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes.1 red onion, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, juice of 1 lime
- Transfer to a bowl and add the lime juice, sesame oil, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch of salt to taste. Mix well.juice of 1 lime, ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil, 3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil